Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mommy Math

Living affordably takes some time and know how, but most of the time it is just a little thinking outside of the box. We live a a 2700 sqft home and with 6 people we are always in need of something. Maybe it is filling a space in our home with our style or keeping up with the clothing needs of our children, we are always spending $$$$$.

We definetly believe in the hand-me-downs, with 3 boys it is a must. But sometimes that does not fit our needs. So I do Mommy Math.

Let's say my oldest needs a pair of football cleats. I always look for used first (Once Upon a Child and Craigslist), you can often get brand new things if you are patient. Then I price new (of course with a coupon). Once I figure my cost I shop our home (closets, furniture, nothing is safe) for what I can sell. I then subtract the price of what I get for my items from the cost of what I purchase and that is the total cost.

Example: Stainles Steal Appliances for $1200 but then sold our White Appliances for $1100 total cost $100 (see Kitchen Makeover Post).

More examples below;
 
Twin beds $10 (yes for both) Goodwill spray paint $3
 
Sold $50 on Craigslist


Purchased Blue bunkbeds with Trundle $140
Total cost $90



Gap Jacket $3.50 Once Upon a Child
Sold Swing $17
Total cost free
There are very few times I don't do this so I don't include the cost of the purchase of the old item in the Math. This way I keep saving money and of course EVERYTHING is paid for in CASH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment